Monday, April 8, 2013

What's a "miniBodhi"?

The name miniBodhi came to me very quickly.  "Mini", because I intend the artwork to be for young people.  I chose "Bodhi" for a few reasons.

"Bodhi" is a Sanskrit word meaning "awakening," or "enlightenment".  Buddhist teachings say that a man named Siddhartha was meditating under a fig tree when he achieved enlightenment and became Buddha - the fig tree then became known as the Bodhi Tree.  Also, a "Bodhisattva" is a person who has dedicated his or her life to being like Buddha.  To me, simply put, that means living very compassionately and peacefully.  I rather liked the idea of "little Bodhisattvas", and so "mini-Bodhi" had a special ring to it.  Lastly, I liked that "Bodhi" is kind of a homonym with the word "body".  I hope to reach many brilliant beautiful hearts within small (growing) bodies.  

As I breathe in, I feel a friendship with the mini-Bodhis around me.
As I breathe out, I welcome understanding.
Friendship, Understanding.  Friendship, Understanding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment